logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline chuck dumas  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2024 8:15:51 AM(UTC)
chuck dumas

Groups: Registered

I go by Chuck or whatever else you care to call me.

I am retired USAF comfortably ensconced in a low threat/high per-diem area.

I have been the slow-nephew assistant for a neighbor with a 5 gal reflux still (2" columns) and have helped with 18 or more sugar wash runs. The high purity results of the sugar runs are needed as a food-grade solvent for the final (ingestible) product. We also make pruneau and I can see a use for a pot still to improve that product.

But he's a cranky ol' SOB and won't allow his well seasoned boiler (quarter keg) and columns to be violated by the pruneau. That got me to exploring the whole still building/assembling thing. And that brought me back to Brewhaus from whom I purchased (and read) a distilling book 13 years ago anticipating my relocation to CR.

Brewhaus appears to be the creator of my buddies rig!

Where I'm at - I am going to become a still owner soon. I believe I will get a 2" 4 section flute , but don't quite understand it as well as I understand the reflux column. The still I've been involved with has no needle valve controlling the output and so I am puzzled by the instructions to achieve equilibrium and if we have ever attempted that. BTW output so far runs a little less than 20% of the mash at high-80's purity - and am wondering if it may be tweaked using that output valve.

I have questions - doing my reading - looking at options - sipping chicha and hooch.

How you doin'?

Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2024 9:10:37 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thank you for joining our group, Chuck. Please check the forum, as there is a lot of information available, and ask any questions that you have.