logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline arich211  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:28:20 AM(UTC)
arich211

Groups: Registered

I,m very new to this In a 5 gallon bucket i put 4 inces of sweet feed filled 3/4 with hot water the added i 1/4 ounce pkg of yeast put my bubbler on it how long before it starts to bubble
Offline Outland  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:23:09 AM(UTC)
Outland

"Did you use this recipe? http://homedistiller.org/grain/wash-grain2/moonshine

You may have left out the sugar since you didn't say.

Like BW said, if the water wasn't too hot that the yeast are killed, you should see some activity in under 2 hrs"
Offline arich211  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:31:36 AM(UTC)
arich211

I did not add any sugar . I thought the sweet feed had molasses so i did'nt need the sugar. I used hot tap water to dissolve the yeast Shoul I just scrap this batch and start over
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 5:19:24 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Sweet feed does have molasses. But does it have malted grain? You need malted grain to convert the starch of the grains to sugars available for the yeast.
Offline Outland  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:40:47 AM(UTC)
Outland

I wouldn't scrap it....just boil it, add sugar and malt and when it cools pitch more yeast
Offline arich211  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:48:27 AM(UTC)
arich211

"Boil it?
Maybe I have the wrong recipe I have 4 inches of sweet feed in the bottom of a bucket then add hot water to fill add 1 pkg of yeast and ferment for 5-7 days. Now i'm told to add sugar which is no problem. Is this the most easy way to make a mash I have been told use just cracked corn but the sweet feed would give me a better tasting product. any help would GREATLY be appreciated
Thank you"
Offline Outland  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:55:23 AM(UTC)
Outland

Boil it for sterilization, otherwise this batch is likely contaminated. Just so you don't have to scrap it
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:24:03 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Yeah, without the addition of sugar I fear you will be sorely dissapointed.

Just pour the liquid off the fermenter and bring it up to a good hot temp (hot enough to melt the sugar) and then when the sugar is melted - either let it cool (if you did'nt kill the yeast ) or just pour it back in. But you may need another addition of yeast????"
Offline arich211  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 3:41:21 AM(UTC)
arich211

"I think thge first go around the water was too hot and i killed the yeast so i took out about 1/2 gal of liqued heated it up dissolved 5 gal of sugar I also removed 2 cups of liqued and dissolved 1 pkg of yeast. stirred it up then caped it back so now i'm going to un cap and stir for the day and recap this evening. I'm I suppose to keep the mash warm some how its kind of chilly not cold where I have it.

Also Is there an easyier recipe or should I keep trying with this one?
Thanks"
Offline arich211  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 5:48:57 AM(UTC)
arich211

when i lifted the lid to stir the mash is a bubbling but my makeshift air lock is not Possible I do not have a good enough seal somewhere?
Offline silverio fontanez  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 10:42:20 AM(UTC)
silverio fontanez

I have a problem with my wash folowed resp to the tee cap it .bubbled 26 28 hours then nothing not even a fizzle .is ther somthing rong
Offline arich211  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 10:48:13 AM(UTC)
arich211

I still have no bubbles coming out of the hose i have stuck in a water bottle but if I lift the lid its a bubbling away Im going to let work and try to distill it this weekend?
Offline div4gold  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 11:13:21 AM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: arich211 Go to Quoted Post
I still have no bubbles coming out of the hose i have stuck in a water bottle but if I lift the lid its a bubbling away Im going to let work and try to distill it this weekend?

If you have the hose more than a inch under water it will have to build up a lot of pressure to force the bubbles out, it could be venting somewhere else."
#14 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 11:25:41 AM(UTC)
silverio fontanez

3weeks wat happen to 7to10 days. if i make a simpel sugar wash how long will that take .and by the way i poped the lid off 3 times am i still ok.
#15 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 11:29:04 AM(UTC)
silverio fontanez

Originally Posted by: silverio fontanez Go to Quoted Post
3weeks wat happen to 7to10 days. if i make a simpel sugar wash how long will that take .and by the way i poped the lid off 3 times am i still ok.
i just got my new still from brewhas and i am a little impationt i wont to see the shine.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 12:16:39 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

"
Originally Posted by: silverio fontanez Go to Quoted Post
i just got my new still from brewhas and i am a little impationt i wont to see the shine.

You don't need to wait three weeks. This is first i have ever heard this and actually contradicts all the research i have done. I check my SG regularly and taste it. When it is bitter and the SG tells me i have made the amount of alcohol its supposed to its ready. Leave it an extra day so everything settles then siphon off the good and run it. If you are paranoid about the yeast you can get a clearing agent that will make it fall to the bottom."
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 2:02:38 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

I have two hydrometers. One for checking wash, you check the SG when you first make your mash(or when i seperates enough to check it) then when its close to ready. The other is for high alcohol content. Every six ounces of product gets checked. Once the % drops by 4 i stop collecting unless i need something to load the thumper for next time. I have yet to break one even when handling them after too much product testing and dropping it on the counter hard. I dont recollect them being too terribly expensive.
#18 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 3:13:18 PM(UTC)
silverio fontanez

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Yeppers sure everything is still ok just kindly quit peeking till you are ready to run it. Got no problemos on the 7-10 day januine sugar wash settling time if the temps are reasonable following a good recipe etc. Dont recall hearing what kind of wash you was brewing..and was taking on a worst case scenario with the three week deal. Now if a person gets cute and decides to add cornmeal it takes longer. I found this out the hard way while trying to squeeze alcoholic laden wet cornmeal mush through a tee shirt. I was covered from head to toe..lol.
i am using a sweet horse feed i got at the sothern states 50 lb 13$ the last 4 batches i let set 7 days and ran it and got nothing i think i will give it 2 weeks and run it .do you have eney plain sugar wash resp.will 5gal of water and 6pounds of sugar 3pack of champain yeast work .thers a viedo on utoob on this.
Offline arich211  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:24:28 AM(UTC)
arich211

"I want to start another mash a going all I have is a 5 gal water bottle is it ok to use it or does it need to be something that the light will not shine in.
Also on my bubbler i have an air hose sticking thru the lid tight there and the other end stuck in a water bottle. I also thought the wash would be done in 5-7 days when the bubbling slows to 2or 3 per minute"
Offline arich211  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:53:25 AM(UTC)
arich211

So if ileave the orignal mash alone for 2 weeks it would be better donot open it just let it do its thing I wraped the top of the bucket with plastic wrap still no bubbles I guess i shoud buy an air trap andmake a new fermenting bucket