logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Backwash  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:44:36 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Groups: Registered

After checking into bags of sweet feed I noticed the feed contains propionic acid as a preservative. Will this be detrimental to the wash? Want to eliminate as many variables to the process as possible. B
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:25:21 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Propionic Acid acts as a fungal growth inhibitor in some feed grains. It isn't harmful for human consumption, but may (likely) kill your yeast. Some people soak their grains briefly and pour through a strainer, discarding the soak water before making the wash (when they get cracked corn with PI in it). The problem here is that you'll probably lose some of the molasses this way, but it seems to be the easiest solution. Some will add a base to the wash which binds (prob not the right word) with the acid to form a salt that falls out of suspension once heat is added (which would mean you have to cook the wash first). Propionic acid is soluble in water, so a rinse in tepid water followed by another rinse with more clean tepid water will probably get enough of it out so it doesn't affect your ferment. You may have to add a little bit of molasses back to recover what you lost.

All of the above advice is useful if you already bought the sweet feed. If you haven't, try and find some that is not treated with PI.

HD topic concerning PI in cracked corn: http://homedistiller.org...amp;hilit=propionic+acid
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:53:28 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I did not have luck with s/f's using feed w/PI. Even after the soak, I got intermittent and odd ferment issues. I started getting the SF from a feed store that could get me the feed w/o PI in it. Presto - problem solved....

The thing to keep in mind Backwash, is that most feed stores and such are not going to have non PI SF's in the warehouse. l tell them I have a horse that gets colic from the PI and need a "pure" feed with no preservatives whatsoever. Took the feed store dude about a week and then he called me with a brand that was perfect. Had to be a special order, but pay cash and that's almost as good. If there's any questions, just tell them it's for the horse rescue groups and from time to time there will be a need for special feed for horses with digestive issues.
Offline Backwash  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:03:04 AM(UTC)
Backwash

Thanks guys, I was just checking out the local stores for supplies and came across this. I read the thread on home distiller and it seems to be a potential problem with fermentation. I will continue to look for a non-treated SW in my area. Thanks,B.